Director of Development & CommunicationCompany: Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Bluegrass
Date Posted: March 16, 2018
Ronald McDonald House Charities® of the Bluegrass
Director of Development & Communication
Ronald McDonald House Charities® of the Bluegrass, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, has an immediate opening for a Director of Development & Communications. This is a full-time exempt position offering a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, and the opportunity to work with a highly recognized and respected charity that directly impacts the lives of critically ill children and their families. RMHC® has helped over 25,000 families from across the Bluegrass (and beyond) over the past 33 years and enjoys a solid brand recognition and trusted relationship with the community we serve.
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Director of Development & Communication supports the Mission, Values, and Standards of Ronald McDonald House Charities® of the Bluegrass. The Director of Development & Communication has the responsibility to understand, clearly and convincingly articulate the driving vision and strategic direction of fund development activities. This individual is responsible for providing leadership, oversight, coordination and implementation of all fundraising, marketing and public relations campaigns designed to increase and secure donor response to ensure that departmental objectives are successfully attained and operating requirements are met to fulfill Mission of RMHC of the Bluegrass.
The Director of Development & Communications will assist and lead the major gift, capital, endowment planned giving, and special event activities of the House; as well as contribute to the execution of organizational strategy, serving as an integral member of the leadership team. They will support all external communication both print and digital, website management, and will be responsible for the development of communication strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and implement a comprehensive annual and multi-year Fund Development Plan. Set goals, strategies and support for successful execution.
- Lead all fundraising activities to meet or exceed annual revenue goals.
- Direct and participate as appropriate in the solicitation of major gift and planned giving prospects.
- Develop a comprehensive planned giving program to encourage asset-based giving to the organization. This will include creating the appropriate volunteer structure, encouraging bequests and putting in place the necessary structures to accept more complex planned gifts.
- Plan, implement and manage all internal and external major fundraising events.
- Serve as staff lead on fundraisers conducted by outside organizations (third party) by identifying and cultivating opportunities and stewarding existing relationships.
- Collaborate with Ronald McDonald House program staff to recruit and lead event volunteers as appropriate.
- Serve as staff liaison with the Board's Fund Development Committee and the Red Shoe Crew, as well as developing additional volunteer support for fundraising and communications efforts. Leading and supervising the program and membership activities.
- Identify Major Giving Opportunities and assist Executive Director in solicitation as needed.
- Identify and facilitate application for appropriate grant opportunities.
- Provide systematic development planning and reporting, including items such as budgets, status reports, and annual reports as defined by the Executive Director.
- Oversee the direct mail program.
- Promote the RMHC Pop tab program.
- Communicate fundraising opportunities in the community as appropriate.
- Engage in professional development and networking opportunities to further the mission of the Chapter.
- Promote RMHC program activities through strategic thinking, marketing, and knowledge of trends by creating community relationships and sustaining collaborative partnerships.
- Design and implement community outreach plans.
- Supervise all marketing campaigns (direct mail, paid advertising, collateral items, brochures, donor recognition, event invitations, etc.)
- Create/edit print and digital newsletter publication.
- Lead Chapter's social media strategy.
- Design and distribute all print materials for RMHC of the Bluegrass.
- Oversight of chapter brand identity and adherence to Global style guide.
- Develop communication strategies to raise awareness of program needs.
- Assist with the development of stewardship campaigns.
- Participate in regional speaking engagements and promotional activities as needed.
- Plan and implement the public relations program on behalf of the organization.
- Plan and facilitate House tours.
- Coordinate all social media and media relations activities.
- Manage content of RMHC of the Bluegrass website.
- Serve as contact during a communication crisis.
- Work with management team to develop strategic internal communication strategies.
- Communicate media strategies to management team as appropriate.
- Support other administrative functions of House as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, Strategic Communications, Marketing, or a related field.
- Experience with special event and promotional campaign planning and execution.
- Minimum of five years of development experience.
- Annual, capital giving experience and planned giving experience preferred.
- Demonstrated record of being detail oriented, possessing strong organization and time management skills, and prioritizing workload within a complex and fast paced environment.
- Experience with digital media including website design and management as well as social media platforms.
- Leadership skills and the ability to motivate and direct a volunteer labor force.
- Computer proficiency, including familiarity with NXT, Windows, MS Office, Excel, Word.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Sensitivity to the guests and volunteers of RMHC. Compassion and confidentiality are a must.
- Experience in working independently and collaboratively in a team environment to meet multiple, competing deadlines.
- Desire to provide a high level of service and hospitality.
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle, possess a valid driver's license, and be insurable under the Chapter's motor vehicle insurance policy.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to perform physical tasks normally associated with working in a business office and at off-site fundraising events and will be exposed to occupational hazards normally associated with those environments. The employee must be able to drive a vehicle, see, hear, and speak English fluently.
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to RMHC Attn: Careers PO Box 22414 Lexington, KY 40502. Please no calls or drop-ins.
Deadline for applications is Midnight on Sunday, April 1, 2018.
The mission of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Bluegrass is to create and support programs that directly improve the health and well-being of children and to strengthen families by keeping them together in times of medical need.
100% of the funding for RMHC of the Bluegrass programs is raised from the generosity of the community through fundraising events, individual and group contributions, corporate and foundation donations, McDonald's Restaurant fundraising efforts, and the recipients of RMHC program services.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Bluegrass policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. RMHC of the Bluegrass does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws.